Some sectors of the economy, like health care and energy are flourishing right now, while there are other sectors like consumer discretionary that are clearly struggling. Of course, the health care sector is currently receiving stimulus in the form of subsidized health insurance. It is a good thing to follow stimulus around.
By keeping an eye on corporate earnings we can gain important information about the overall health of the economy.
#3 - Is this market getting expensive?
Back in 2000, the market was trading at a multiple of 30 times forward earnings. Where are we today? The market multiple is only 17.29 on an average forward PE basis using the 3,800+ stocks in my Best Stocks Now database. We began the year at a multiple of 18.58. So the market is not "cheap" but it is not expensive either.#4 - Are the technicals of the market beginning to roll over or are they still in an uptrend? By carefully analyzing the price trends in the market, the overall health picture of the market becomes much clearer. As you can see from the chart of the S&P 500 above, you can see that the primary trend of the market is still up. This is another name for a bull market. #5 - Which asset classes and sectors are leading the market? It is also important to track the different asset classes in the market. As we look at the leading asset classes currently (I track 34), equities still dominate the top spots. Data from Best Stocks Now App Read More: headline We can also get a clue from the sectors leading the market. Is it the defensive sectors leading the market or is it the offensive sectors? As we look at the leading sectors right now (I track 60), it is still growth sectors leading the way. Data from Best Stocks Now App
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV