"Since the dawn of capitalism, there has been one golden rule: If you want to make money, you have to take risks." - Unknown
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Markets opened strong on the back of good earnings numbers from Twitter (TWTR) but markets did fade from early highs. Basically, we're just seeing more and more chop as summer marches on.
The Federal Reserve said it plans to keep rates low for some time after the bond buying comes to an end in the fall. This will be good for our very high dividend-paying real estate investment trusts and we should be able to hold them much longer than I'd thought.
Read More: Why 'This is Yellen's FOMC Now'After the initial pop in markets on the Fed news we once again began to fade. Nothing but chop. I'm enjoying a high cash level right now with only 10% into stocks, not counting REITs, and I will continue to keep any positions I take small until I see a change or end to the summer chop. SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) is still just basing and looks like it does want to roll over a bit. I'm not calling for any major correction, just more chop and perhaps some downside as we continue to build a pattern that should complete in the fall that will take us finally to a big breakout. Read More: Why The Fed Is Right to Sit Tight on Rates A move down to 194 would be fine as we build this base to move us past the very significant 200 level. Enjoy this great summer evening. Warren Bevan
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV