NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Amedisys Inc.
(AMED) are spiking 29% to $20.73 today following the health care company's higher than expected second quarter earnings, helped by the closing some of its hospices and home health care centers to reduce costs.
Adjusted net income for the second quarter rose to $8 million, or 25 cents per share, up from $5.8 million, or 18 cents per share, a year earlier and beating the consensus estimate of 4 cents by 21 cents.
Revenue fell -3.5% year-over-year to $305 million, compared to the $316 million in the same quarter of 2013, but ahead of analysts' estimate of $289.9 million.
AMED data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV