NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of WellPoint (WLP) are down -2.20% to $110.07 after the health benefit company's second quarter profit declined due to higher expenses, even though revenue and enrollment increased.
The company upped its earnings outlook for the year, saying it now expects adjusted per share profit to top $8.60, compared with its prior forecast for earnings of more than $8.40 a share. WellPoint reiterated its expectation for operating revenue above $73.5 billion, the Wall Street Journal reports
For the second quarter, WellPoint reported a profit of $731.1 million, or $2.56 per share, down from $800.1 million, or $2.64 per share, a year ago. Excluding gains on investments and other items, per share earnings fell to $2.44 from $2.60.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Total operating revenue increased 4.2% to $18.23 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected earnings of $2.26 a share and operating revenue of $18.23 billion. TheStreet Ratings team rates WELLPOINT INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate WELLPOINT INC (WLP) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV