NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cablevision Systems
(CVC) shares are retreating -0.8% to $19.38 in early market trading on Wednesday after analysts at Citigroup
(C) downgraded the company's shares to "sell" from "neutral".
The downgrade comes one day after the company announced a 15 cent per share quarterly dividend to be paid September 5.
The company's new rating coincides with Citigroup analyst Jason Bazinet's prediction last March that the company would be put up for sale within 18 months.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- CABLEVISION SYS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, CABLEVISION SYS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.48 versus $0.25 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.87 versus $0.48).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 656.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$16.14 million to $89.76 million.
- The gross profit margin for CABLEVISION SYS CORP is rather high; currently it is at 50.94%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.69% trails the industry average.
- In its most recent trading session, CVC has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CVC Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV