Growing evidence suggests that the automobile industry is about to pause/peak, just like the housing market did 12 to 18 months ago.
Few observers are currently focused on this risk.
After turning bullish on the U.S. housing market in 2010, I turned bearish in 2012.
This proved correct as the residential real estate market has fizzled out over the past year based principally on a drop in affordability -- home prices have been artificially buoyed by new-era institutional investors at a time when real incomes have foundered -- and more stringent mortgage credit standards. Surprising many industry observers, these two factors dwarfed the salutary impact of lower mortgage rates.The automobile industry, too, will hit a brick wall shortly. Factors contributing to a stall in auto industry sales and profits include:
- The rapid rise in automobile demand -- annual SAAR has risen from about 10 million units to more than 16 million units -- since the Great Recession has been fueled by aggressive lending standards, reminiscent of the mid-2000s housing bubble. This has pulled forward demand for cars and has begun to dent the age of the average car on the road.
- My conversations with leading financial institutions suggest that the potential for climbing delinquencies on auto paper will likely result in banks beginning to withdraw somewhat from the previously aggressive lending policies that have fueled auto industry demand over the past five years.
- An increase in automobile supply around the world will challenge industry profits in the face of peaking demand. Incentives and sales will be rising.
- Despite expectations of an improvement in consumer incomes, real incomes continue to flatline and will limit any improvement in automobile expenditures.
- Retail stocks have been among the worst-performing market groups in 2014. This could foreshadow underperformance in auto stocks.
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 7:15 a.m. EDT on July 30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV