NEW YORK (Real Money) -- The rolling correction continues. We have seen some really powerful downward moves in some of the major industrials of late. They remind me of something that Byron Wien -- senior adviser at Blackstone, and by far my favorite market commentator -- said at the beginning of the year. He remarked that the S&P 500 would initially drop 10% in a worst-of-times situation, and then in a best-of-times situation it could rally 20%, heading perhaps to 2300 at the end of the year.
I point this out because Wien put out his monthly note Tuesday night, and it is very positive on the market -- but, in it, he does not directly address that he thought stocks would have that initial decline.
Yet, as I look over so many of the big industrials and many of the technology stocks, I see the market did have a pretty large correction already. Stocks such as General Electric (GE) and Boeing (BA) and United Technologies (UTX) are down huge from their highs. The cloud-computing stocks, despite their nascent rallies, are down much more than 10%.
(AGCO) on "Mad Money." That's the third-largest agricultural-equipment maker. We all know that prices are down huge for grains. But Agco shares are down 16%. Isn't it right to ask whether the stock has factored that in? Or take Boeing. This stock has had a relentless decline: It has lost 10% for the year and now has a price-to-earnings ratio of 15. Isn't that enough of a pasting?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV