Newfield Exploration (NFX) Marked As Today's Post-Market Laggard
- NFX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $89.2 million.
- NFX is down 2.2% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NFX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NFX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NFX: Newfield Exploration Company, an independent energy company, is engaged in the exploration, development, and production of crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids. Its primary areas of operation include the Mid-Continent, the Rocky Mountains, and onshore Gulf Coast. NFX has a PE ratio of 38.5. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Newfield Exploration a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for Newfield Exploration has been 2.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Newfield has a market cap of $6.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.46 and a short float of 5.3% with 2.64 days to cover. Shares are up 78.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Newfield Exploration as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 49.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO turned its bottom line around by earning $0.79 versus -$6.70 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.13 versus $0.79).
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $365.00 million or 1.67% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 16.72%.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- NFX's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.94 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that NFX's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.54 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- You can view the full Newfield Exploration Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.