The world's largest biotech company reported a year-over-year rise in net profit to $1.55 billion, or $2.01 a share, from $1.26 billion, or $1.65 a share. Profit excluding items was $2.37 a share, which beat the consensus estimate of $2.07 a share. Revenue rose 11% to $5.2 billion, which beat analysts' expectations of $4.89 billion.
Strong sales of the rheumatoid arthritis drug Enbrel aided the profit rise, Amgen said in its press release.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Amgen also announced it would trim its work force by 12% to 15% and would close two plants as it tries to restructure and move resources in preparation for the debut of new medicines, which the company hopes will drive future growth. The stock was up 3.6% to $127.75 at 4:35 p.m. Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates AMGEN INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AMGEN INC (AMGN) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." You can view the full analysis from the report here: AMGN Ratings Report AMGN data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV