NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp. (BGFV) reported a decline in net income for the 2014 second quarter to $2.5 million, or 11 cents per diluted share, compared to $6.1 million, or 28 cents per diluted share for the 2013 second quarter.
The sporting goods retailer said revenue also dropped for the most recent quarter to $231.2 million versus $239.9 million from a year ago.
Big 5 Sporting Goods said their 2014 second quarter performance reflects the reduction in demand for firearms and ammunition products, and the "general softness in consumer spending."
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates BIG 5 SPORTING GOODS CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate BIG 5 SPORTING GOODS CORP (BGFV) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."
BGFV data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV