NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- At Stockpickr, we track the top holdings of a variety of high-profile investors, such as George Soros and Carl Icahn.
It should come as no surprise that the most popular of these portfolios is that of renowned investor Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway
(BRK.B) and one of the richest people in the world.
Must Read: 7 Stocks Warren Buffett Is Selling in 2014
Today we're taking a closer look at 10 of Buffett's top dividend stocks, based on Berkshire Hathaway's most recent quarterly 13F filing with the SEC, which reflects holdings as of June 30, 2014. These stocks each comprise at least 1% of Berkshire's portfolio, with current dividend yields of 1.2% and higher. They are listed by size of dividend yield.
10. Moody'sMoody's (MCO) has a current yield of 1.2%, paying a quarterly dividend of 28 cents a share. Moody's is Buffett's 11th-largest holding, comprising 2% of the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio as of June 30. In the most recently reported quarter, Buffett maintained his 24.7 million-share position in the stock. TheStreet Ratings team rates Moody's as a buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings team has this to say about its recommendation:
"We rate Moody's (MCO) a buy. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- MCO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 11.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 48.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 30.18% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, MCO should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Moody's has improved earnings per share by 48.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, Moody's increased its bottom line by earning $3.60 versus $3.03 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.03 versus $3.60).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Diversified Financial Services industry average. The net income increased by 41.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $225.50 million to $319.20 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Financial Services industry and the overall market, Moody's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Must Read: 10 Stocks George Soros Is Buying in 2014
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.