NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of XL Group Plc (XL) are up 2.18% to $33.70 on heavy trading volume this afternoon after the insurance and reinsurance company's second quarter profit beat analysts' estimates as margins improved, Bloomberg reports.
Operating income, which excludes a loss tied to the sale of a business, was $1.02 a share, beating the 86 cent average estimate of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.
The insurer made an underwriting profit of 11.7 cents of profit on every premium dollar it collected in the quarter, compared with 6.2 cents a year earlier, the company said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. XL reported a net loss in the second quarter of $279.3 million, or $1.03 a share, tied to the sale of a life reinsurance unit. That compares with net income of $272.7 million, or 93 cents, in the same period last year. TheStreet Ratings team rates XL GROUP PLC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate XL GROUP PLC (XL) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, good cash flow from operations, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV