Tired of pathetic deposit rates? Try these banks
“Maybe interest rates are too abstract for people to really appreciate what the differences mean,” Barrington says. “Convert the extra amount you could earn to dollars when you compare banks, and you'll probably see that extra is worth having.”
For those not ready to test the waters of online-only banking, the survey also revealed that medium-sized banks - those with between $5 billion and $10 billion in deposits - offered an average savings account rate of 0.277 percent. That was more than 10 basis points higher than their smaller and larger counterparts - albeit roughly half the yield of what the typical online-only account offers.
Desperately seeking safety
Admittedly, no interest rate of less than 1 percent is likely to raise investors' pulses today, particularly in light of the gains the stock market has posted lately. Yet for some consumers - including many retirees - an FDIC-insured bank account may be the wisest place to store savings they would rather not risk in the stock market.
“Money on deposit should be your safety blanket, the totally secure area of your investments,” Barrington says. “Even so, there is no reason to make sure that money isn't working as hard for you as it could be.”The MoneyRates.com survey offers more details on the top banks in the survey and its methodology. You might also like:
- The best savings account rates: What savers should know
- Bank fees: What's the latest?
- Money market accounts: A good choice for your IRA?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV