NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Level 3 Communications
(LVLT) are up 3.9% to $46.67 today after the communications company posted higher than expected second quarter profit, citing gains in its core network services revenue in North America and Latin America.
For the second quarter, Level 3 reported $1.63 billion in revenue, a 3.8% increase from the same quarter the previous year, and higher than the consensus of $1.6 billion.
The company posted earnings of $51 million, or 21 cents a share, performing better compared with a year-earlier loss of $24 million, or 11 cents a share.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Excluding items such as the loss for the devaluation of the Venezuelan Bolivar, the company generated basic and diluted net income per share of 37 cents, beating the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of 31 cents.
LVLT data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV