NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Darden Restaurants
(DRI - Get Report) shares are up 3% to $46.26 on Tuesday as investors have reacted positively to the news that the restaurant chain's CEO, Clarence Otis, is stepping down.
Otis had been with Darden since 1995 before becoming CEO in 2004.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
The Olive Garden, Longhorne Steakhouse and Capital Grille franchiser has struggled to turn around its signature Olive Garden franchise and completed the sale of its Red Lobster franchise to Golden Gate Capital on Monday.
The company has appointed Charles Ledsinger Jr. as independent non-executive chairman following Otis' departure
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- DARDEN RESTAURANTS INC's earnings per share declined by 39.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DARDEN RESTAURANTS INC reported lower earnings of $1.38 versus $1.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.25 versus $1.38).
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.28 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.11, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, DARDEN RESTAURANTS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DRI Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts