NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The question of whether a CEO is worth the price a company pays often boils down to measurable factors, like stock price. But that salary might also be worth it for other, less tangible reasons.
Last December, Prof. Sydney Finkelstein of the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth had the heads of J.C. Penney (JCP), Sears Holdings (SHLD), BlackBerry (BBRY) and Microsoft (MSFT) high up on his annual rating of the "Worst CEOs of 2013." Last week, the employees and customers of Market Basket, a grocery store chain in New England, protested the firing of Arthur T. Demoulas, the former CEO. Other than those holding a short position, it is difficult to imagine anyone working against the replacement of the leaders of Blackberry, Sears Holdings and others on Finkelstein's list.
My article last week on TheStreet detailed the extensive damage overpaid CEOs can cause. This article takes the opposite approach, examining why those like Arthur T. Demoulas deserve every penny of the $10.5 million in average compensation received by the heads of members of the Standard & Poor's 500 Index (SPY).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV