NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tyson Foods
(TSN - Get Report) shares are up 3.6% to $41 on Monday after the company announced that it plans to sell its Mexican and Brazilian poultry business to JBS Pilgrim's Pride for $575 million to help raise money to pay down the debt it incurred from its acquisition of Hillshire Brands
The company announced that it was buying Hillshire Brands for $7.75 billion earlier this month in a deal that is expected to close next year.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
The company also reported an 11% rise in year over year third quarter revenues to $9.63 billion during the period, ahead of analysts $9.5 billion estimates before the opening bell today.
The food production company reported earnings of $260 million, or 75 cents per diluted share, 3 cents short of analysts expectations.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TYSON FOODS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate TYSON FOODS INC (TSN) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TSN's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 36.36% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 46.91% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TSN should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- TYSON FOODS INC has improved earnings per share by 36.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, TYSON FOODS INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.32 versus $1.68 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.90 versus $2.32).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Food Products industry. The net income increased by 124.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $95.00 million to $213.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts