5 Stocks Ready for Breakouts
DELAFIELD, Wis. (Stockpickr) -- Trading stocks that trigger major breakouts can lead to massive profits. Once a stock trends to a new high or takes out a prior overhead resistance point, then it's free to find new buyers and momentum players who can ultimately push the stock significantly higher.
One example of a successful breakout trade I flagged recently was banking player Doral Financial (DRL), which I featured in July 18's "5 Stocks Ready for Breakouts" at around $5.21 per share. I mentioned in that piece that shares of Doral Financial recently pulled back sharply from its high of $9.93 to its intraday low of $5.04 a share. Shares of DRL were just starting to find some buying interest around $5 a share, and that action was setting up DRL for a possible breakout if the stock could manage to take out some key near-term overhead resistance levels at $5.52 to $6.16 a share.
Guess what happened? Shares Doral Financial dipped lower again on July 22 to $4.61 a share, but then on July 23 this stock skyrocketed higher with heavy upside volume flows and triggered that breakout. Volume on that day registered 7.14 million shares, which is well above its three-month average action of 1.51 million shares. Shares of DRL tagged an intraday high on July 23 of $7.10 a share, which represents a monster gain of close to 40% from the price DRL was trading at the day I flagged it. As you can see, when breakouts trigger with high-volume stocks can make very explosive moves in short time frames.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV