The 10 Richest States in America
Updated from 7/27/2014 to include the 10 Poorest States in America.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) --While some American states are recovering from the recession, many others are struggling to get out from under the pressures associated with the economy's decline.
Everyday Americans are fighting to put food on the tables, pay their bills, and keep a roof over their heads. Some places in the U.S. were harder hit than others when the recession struck, making them the poorest states in the country.
Despite their best efforts, many Americans are having a difficult time staying out of poverty.
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin," Charles Darwin said.Based on data released from the U.S. Census Bureau in September 2013, what follows is a list of the 10 poorest states in the U.S. followed by the 10 richest... The 10th Poorest State in the U.S.
10. Oklahoma Median Household Income: $44,312 Oklahoma ranks tenth among the poorest states in the country, but didn't suffer as much as others during the recession, as the state's economy relied intensely on the energy industry, and the rise in oil prices helped to soften the impact of the financial crisis, 24/7 Wall Street reported.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts