NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Zions Bancorporation (ZION - Get Report) are up 1.29 to $29.87 after the bank received approval for its resubmitted 2014 capital plan from the Fed after failing earlier this year, Bloomberg reports.
Zions's Tier 1 common ratio was 5.1% in the new submission, the Fed said in a statement.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ZIONS BANCORPORATION as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate ZIONS BANCORPORATION (ZION) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ZIONS BANCORPORATION reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, ZIONS BANCORPORATION increased its bottom line by earning $1.58 versus $0.97 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.77 versus $1.58).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 44.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $83.03 million to $119.55 million.
- The gross profit margin for ZIONS BANCORPORATION is currently very high, coming in at 101.28%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 20.33% trails the industry average.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 5.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.9%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ZION Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts