Second, the network segment just posted a 8% year-over-year decline with operating margin shedding 80 basis points year over year to 11%. Combine this with the 19% revenue decline in its higher-margin Global Services business, which also posted a 80-basis-point operating margin decline, and it's tough to be bullish long term on Nokia's stock.
During the conference call Thursday, management said it can turn the network segment around and deliver year-over-year growth sometime in the second half of this year. That's all well and good. The question is with the persistent declines in operating margins, which suggests lack of network profits.
The good news is, Nokia is no longer strapped for cash thanks to the Microsoft deal. Revenue growth alone, however, is not enough to push these shares higher.
It was at this time last year Nokia bought the remaining portion of its joint venture with Siemens (SI) called Nokia Siemens Network. Management had (then) just begun devoting its attention to that business. This means Nokia is approaching a couple of quarters of easier comps.Read More: Starbucks Earnings: What's Wall Street Saying? In other words, Nokia's 2013 network revenue were low enough that it should have no problems exceeding them. It doesn't need a miracle. It just needs profits. At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @Richard_WSPB
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV