NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of Aaron's Inc.
(AAN - Get Report) are down by -1.96% to $28.96 at the start of trading on Friday after the company reported a decline in net earnings to $8.5 million, or 12 cents per diluted share for the 2014 second quarter, compared to $25.9 million, or 34 cents per diluted share for the year ago quarter.
Aaron's said its 2014 second quarter earnings fell from the previous year as the company paid $9.7 million in amortization expense and $5.5 million in estimated transactions costs relating to its Progressive acquisition.
However, the specialty retailer involved in lease ownership of consumer products posted a 22% growth in revenue to $672.5 million versus $550.5 million for the 2013 second quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Aaron's issued full year earnings per share guidance between $1.12 and $1.22 per share, while its annual revenue is expected to be in the range of $2.65 billion and $2.70 billion.Analysts are expecting EPS of $1.76 per share on revenue of $2.71 billion for the year. Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates AARON'S INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AARON'S INC (AAN) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- AAN's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.12 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- The gross profit margin for AARON'S INC is currently very high, coming in at 84.30%. Regardless of AAN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.54% trails the industry average.
- AARON'S INC's earnings per share declined by 20.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, AARON'S INC reported lower earnings of $1.59 versus $2.25 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.81 versus $1.59).
- AAN, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AAN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts