This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

YieldBoost Frank's International From 1.3% To 12% Using Options

Shareholders of Frank's International N.V. (FI) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $25 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.20 bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $25 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but FI shares would have to climb 8.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Frank's International N.V., looking at the dividend history chart for FI below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.3% annualized dividend yield.

FI+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing FI's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $25 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $25 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $25. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Frank's International N.V. (considering the last 240 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $23.10) to be 32%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the FI Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 861,041 contracts, with call volume at 1.52M, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG

Markets

DOW 18,080.14 +21.45 0.12%
S&P 500 2,117.69 +4.76 0.23%
NASDAQ 5,092.0850 +36.0220 0.71%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs