While speaking with analyst, Shaygan Kheradpir, Juniper's CEO remained positive about the company's long-term future, saying:
"While this [telecom M&A activity] will impact our near-term outlook, we are well positioned with these customers with major design wins in key areas of their network including next generation projects."
From my vantage point, there is still too much risk with Juniper, especially without knowing if/when these carrier M&A deals will close. Secondly, the company needs to do a better jobs of diversifying its product/service portfolio.Read More: Walmart Axes Its Fumbling U.S. Chief Finally, the company must develop a stronger presence in the enterprise for these shares to work long-term. Although the stock may see a bounce from this week's beating, the risks will outweigh the reward until these issued are addressed. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Richard_WSPB This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. TheStreet Ratings team rates JUNIPER NETWORKS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate JUNIPER NETWORKS INC (JNPR) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- JNPR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Although JNPR's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.20 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. To add to this, JNPR has a quick ratio of 2.02, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- JUNIPER NETWORKS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, JUNIPER NETWORKS INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.86 versus $0.36 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.62 versus $0.86).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Communications Equipment industry. The net income increased by 125.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $97.90 million to $221.10 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JNPR Ratings Report