NEW YORK (The Deal) -- Three New Jersey legislators want the state's gaming regulator to pressure two Atlantic City casinos headed toward closure, Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino and Showboat Atlantic City, to stay open longer and look harder for buyers.
New Jersey Senator Jim Whelan, Assemblyman Vince Mazzeo, and Assemblyman Chris Brown sent the New Jersey Casino Control Commission a July 22 letter expressing concern about the potential loss of thousands of jobs in the seacoast city and requested that the regulator "direct" Showboat and Trump Plaza to remain open for four months and continue to seek buyers that could evaluate a variety of uses for those properties.
NJCCC Chairman Matthew Levinson didn't dismiss the legislators' request, noting in an email to The Deal that the commission is reviewing the letter.
"I certainly share the very serious concerns they raised about the welfare of workers and all of the businesses that will suffer if casino properties close their doors," Levinson wrote. "While our authority is broad in some respects and our ability to direct business decisions of the casinos is limited under the Casino Control Act, the current circumstances are unprecedented and present novel issues which we have been and will continue to review."Showboat, which is owned by Caesars Entertainment (CZR), has received "a number of inquiries from interested parties," Caesars spokesman Gary Thompson said by phone Wednesday. He explained that an internal group is reviewing the offers and determining their feasibility. The N.J. legislators argued in their letter that two months wouldn't be enough time for potential buyers to conduct due diligence on the properties, evaluate potential uses for them and to estimate renovation costs and financing possibilities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV