NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Toward the end of June, Microsoft's
(MSFT) chart started to develop a compression pattern, building a solid technical support level for price just above the previous resistance level.
Technical analysis should not be used as a predictive strategy, but it is useful as a tool for determining which market participants are buying or selling the stock. In this case, Microsoft clearly shows a steady buying mode and a holding pattern during the candlestick compression pattern, also there was no substantial selling at that time.
Technical patterns reveal that giant funds were buying Microsoft, well ahead of the news about the 18,000 layoffs. Microsoft needed to cut costs, and payroll is the number one business expense. Giant funds are the major investors, owning 73% of the outstanding shares at this time. They have plenty of clout in terms of what information they can demand, as long as the information is not insider trading.
READ MORE: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks The final run up that formed the black candle is the day that High Frequency Traders bought this stock, due to the news release about the layoffs. In this instance, professional traders were able to front run the High Frequency Traders, and here's how they did it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV