ELGIN, Ill., July 23, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Heritage-Crystal Clean, Inc. (Nasdaq:HCCI), a leading provider of parts cleaning, used oil re-refining, and hazardous and non-hazardous waste services primarily focused on small and mid-sized customers, today announced results for the second quarter of fiscal 2014, which ended June 14, 2014.
Second quarter and first half highlights include:
- Revenues rose 22.9%, to $78.1 million, compared to $63.6 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2013. Year-to-date revenues grew 16.6%, to $144.0 million, compared to $123.6 million in the first half of fiscal 2013. This increase was due mainly to organic growth in the Environmental Services segment and as a result of additional output at our re-refinery in the Oil Business segment.
- Our Environmental Services segment includes parts cleaning, containerized waste, and vacuum services. During the second quarter, Environmental Services revenues increased $5.8 million, or 16.2% compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2013. Environmental Services revenues rose $9.9 million, or 14.1% in the first half of fiscal 2014 compared to the first half of fiscal 2013. The increase in revenues in the segment was generated mainly by organic growth.
- Same-branch revenues for our Environmental Services segment increased 11.3% for the quarter, measured for the 73 branches that were in operation throughout both the second quarters of fiscal 2014 and 2013. Same-branch revenues for our Environmental Services segment increased 8.8% for the first half of the year.
- Average revenues per working day in our Environmental Services segment were approximately $700,000 in the second quarter of fiscal 2014 compared to $600,000 in the second quarter of fiscal 2013 and compared to $655,000 in the first quarter of fiscal 2014.
- Our Oil Business segment includes used oil collection and re-refining activities. During the second quarter of fiscal 2014, Oil Business revenues grew 31.4%, to $36.4 million from $27.7 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2013. During the first half of fiscal 2014, Oil Business revenues increased 19.9%, to $63.5 million from $52.9 million in the first half of fiscal 2013. The increase in Oil Business revenues is the result of increased volume at our used oil re-refinery.
- As a result of incremental improvements in the operating capabilities of our re-refinery, the new annual nameplate capacity of our used oil re-refinery is approximately 65 million gallons, up from 50 million gallons in the second quarter of fiscal 2013. During the second quarter of fiscal 2014, we produced base oil at a rate of approximately 100% of the new nameplate capacity.
- Net income attributable to common stockholders for the second quarter was $1.9 million compared to $1.0 million for the year earlier quarter. Income per share was $0.10 in the second quarter of fiscal 2014 compared to $0.06 in the second quarter of fiscal 2013. Net income attributable to common stockholders for the first half of the year was $0.3 million compared to $0.6 million for the first half of fiscal 2013. Income per share was $0.01 in the first half of fiscal 2014 compared to $0.03 in the first half of fiscal 2013.
The Company's Founder, President, and Chief Executive Officer, Joe Chalhoub, commented, "Our results in the second quarter of 2014 represent a strong improvement compared to the first quarter when severe winter weather negatively impacted our performance. Revenue grew considerably during the second quarter in our Oil Business segment as a result of the expanded capacity at our re-refinery. However, while we saw some improvement in the market price of base oil at the end of the second quarter, the market still remains challenging.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts