NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of American Railcar Industries, Inc. (ARII - Get Report) are up 4.46% to $70.71 after it was reported that the U.S. government wants to phase out thousands of railroad tank cars that carry crude oil and ethanol within two years, as part of proposed rules to upgrade safety for trains carrying flammable fuels, the Wall Street Journal reports
Tens of thousands of these older DOT-111 tank cars will have to be replaced or retrofitted under the proposed rules, announced today, the Journal noted.
TheStreet Ratings team rates AMERICAN RAILCAR INDS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate AMERICAN RAILCAR INDS INC (ARII) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 96.01% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, ARII should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- AMERICAN RAILCAR INDS INC has improved earnings per share by 15.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AMERICAN RAILCAR INDS INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.07 versus $2.99 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.48 versus $4.07).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Machinery industry average. The net income increased by 15.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $17.94 million to $20.77 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.71, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. To add to this, ARII has a quick ratio of 2.10, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Machinery industry and the overall market, AMERICAN RAILCAR INDS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ARII Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts