It was a relatively new food chain in its early stages of growth and investment. It had a bold idea to bring fresh burritos to the masses.
During that time, McDonald's (MCD) had a 90% stake in the company. But throughout the year the company divested its shares and completely exited any holdings it had.
Today, Chipotle has a market cap of $20 billion, and it's slowly becoming the fastest growing and most successful food chain in North America. Selling its stake in 2006, was perhaps, one of the biggest mistakes the McDonald's corporation ever made:
If you enjoyed this post you can follow the author on Twitter and StockTwits
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV