NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Xilinx (XLNX) plunged to a 52-week low of $39.13 on Wednesday after the chipmaker reported first-quarter earnings that came up well short of analysts' expectations and issued guidance below the consensus estimate. Analysts also hammered the stock on Wednesday morning.
The company reported earnings per share of 62 cents on revenue of $612.6 million. This edged the consensus EPS estimate of 61 cents but missed the revenue estimate of $631.55 million.
Xilinx expects revenue to be flat to down 4% in the second quarter compared to the first, which equates to a range of $588 million to $612.6 million, well below the consensus estimate of $644.48 million.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Xilinx also received multiple analyst downgrades in the wake of the report. BMO Capital downgraded the stock to "market perform" from "outperform," set a $42 price target and trimmed its estimates. The firm said market share appears to have peaked. Bank of America/Merrill Lynch downgraded Xilinx to "neutral" and set a $48 price target, as China inventory is mounting. Finally, William Blair downgraded the stock to "market perform." The firm said 4G ramp is uncertain, which could limit near-term earnings potential. The stock was down 17.4% to $39.77 at 10:02 a.m. More than 10.5 million shares had changed hands, which beat the average volume of 2,871,810. XLNX data by YCharts STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV