NEW YORK, July 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- S&P Dow Jones Indices ("S&P DJI"), one of the world's leading providers of financial market indices, today announced the launch of the S&P Quality Indices. The index family is designed to measure high quality stocks in the global equity markets on the basis of their quality score, which is calculated based on three fundamental measures – return on equity, accruals ratio and financial leverage ratio.
The launch follows the launch of Low Beta and Intrinsic Value indices earlier this year. Factor-based indices are strategy indices that seek to capture performance characteristics differently than traditional cap-weighted benchmarks. S&P DJI has been offering factor-based indices for years beginning with an equal weighted version of the S&P 500 ® in 2003.
"Quality is a risk factor that is distinct from other known factors like size, value, momentum, and low volatility," says Vinit Srivastava, Senior Director of Strategy Indices at S&P Dow Jones Indices. "The launch of the S&P Quality Index family provides investors with a factor-based benchmark that captures the characteristics of high quality companies."
The index family consists of 12 headline indices that cover major global regions and countries. The S&P Quality Indices are constructed from the constituents of the S&P Global Broad Market Index (BMI) or other headline benchmark indices. Each stock in the S&P Quality Indices is weighted by its quality score multiplied by its float-adjusted market capitalization.The indices launched today include:
- S&P Quality Global LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Quality Developed LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Quality Developed Ex-U.S. LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Quality Developed Ex-Japan LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Quality Emerging LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Quality Europe LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Europe 350 Quality
- S&P Quality Pan Asia LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Quality Pan Asia Ex-Japan LargeMidCap Index
- S&P Quality Japan LargeMidCap Index
- S&P 500® Quality
- S&P Quality United States LargeMidCap Index
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts