The firm said it raised its rating on the domestic independent gas exploration and production company, as it believes the stock is attractive following a recent pullback in shares.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
"We rate PDC ENERGY INC (PDCE) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has experienced relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates PDC ENERGY INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
- PDCE's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 81.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 94.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$39.42 million to -$2.13 million.
- PDC ENERGY INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PDC ENERGY INC reported poor results of -$0.92 versus -$0.58 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.29 versus -$0.92).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PDC ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, PDCE has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. We feel that the combination of its price rise over the last year and its current price-to-earnings ratio relative to its industry tend to reduce its upside potential.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PDCE Ratings Report