Updated with new information, stock price.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Biogen Idec (BIIB) shares are up 10% to $335 Wednesday after the biotech company reported a year-over-year 40% second quarter increase in revenues to $2.4 billion, beating analysts' $2.2 billion consensus estimate. The company also raised financial guidance for the remainder of 2014.
Earnings for the quarter were $3.49 per diluted share, well ahead of analysts' expectations of $2.83 per share. The company's outsized profits were driven by better than expected sales of the multiple sclerosis drugs Tecfidera and strong Avonex sales. Tecfideral sales totaled $700 million worldwide, trouncing the consensus estimate of $558 million. On its conference call, Biogen executives said Tecfidera's launch in Europe was stronger than it had anticipated. especially in Germany, which accounted for nearly 75% of the $115 million in overseas sales.
Biogen raised its full year guidance, increasing total revenue growth expectations to between 38% and 41%, up from its own previous estimates of between 26% and 28% growth, as well as Wall Street's consensus estimate of 28% growth.
On its call, Biogen said top-line results from a phase II study of its anti-LINGO antibody in optic neuritis would be announced in January 2015 -- a slight delay to expectations for data at the end of 2014. The anti-LINGO antibody is perhaps the most important product in Biogen's research pipeline because of its potential to reverse chronic neuro-degenerative diseases like multiple sclerosis.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV