The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW):
Second Quarter 2014 Highlights
- The Company reported earnings of $0.73 per share, or $0.74 per share on an adjusted basis (1). This compares with earnings of $1.87 per share versus the year-ago period, or adjusted earnings of $0.64 per share – representing an increase of 16 percent year over year. Results in the same quarter last year reflect the receipt of the K-Dow arbitration resolution.
- Sales were $14.9 billion, up 2 percent versus the year-ago period, or 3 percent on an adjusted basis (2). Gains were reported in all operating segments, led by Performance Plastics (up 4 percent) and Electronic and Functional Materials (up 5 percent). Agricultural Sciences also increased sales, rising 3 percent in the quarter and achieving a first-half sales record of $4 billion.
- The Company reported adjusted sales gains in most geographic areas, with increases reported both in developed regions (up 3 percent) and in emerging regions (up 2 percent). Gains were led by Western Europe (up 6 percent) and the United States (up 5 percent).
- EBITDA (3) was $2.2 billion, up 5 percent on an adjusted basis (4) versus the year-ago period. EBITDA rose in most operating segments, led by Performance Materials (up 36 percent), as a result of ongoing productivity actions, as well as improved pricing and demand. Performance Plastics and Electronic and Functional Materials also drove EBITDA gains, up 6 percent and 19 percent respectively.
- Adjusted EBITDA margin (5) expanded more than 40 basis points to 15 percent year over year, as productivity and growth actions more than offset the impact of a greater than $350 million increase in purchased feedstock and energy costs, coupled with a $100 million impact from unplanned outages at Dow’s ethylene facilities in Plaquemine, Louisiana.
- Cash flow from operations was $1.4 billion for the quarter. Year-to-date, Dow has returned $3 billion to shareholders through declared dividends and share repurchases.
Andrew N. Liveris, Dow’s chairman and chief executive officer, stated:
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts