NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Neogen Corp. (NEOG) closed lower by -4.32 to $36.97 on heavy trading volume on Tuesday afternoon, following the company's 2014 fourth quarter earnings results which didn't meet analyst expectations.
Neogen, an international food safety company, posted an increase in net income to $7.5 million, or 20 cents per share for the most recent quarter, compared to $7.0 million, or 19 cents per share for the same period last year.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters estimated the company would earn 21 cents per share.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Analysts expected revenue of $66.88 million for the quarter.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NEOGEN CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NEOGEN CORP (NEOG) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
The company's net revenue was $67.26 million, up from $56.01 million for the 2013 fourth quarter.
NEOG data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV