NEW YORK (Real Money) -- If you give 'em what they want, you can raise the price and they want more! That's the takeaway of two different earnings reports last night: Chipotle (CMG) and Netflix (NFLX). And it's a particularly glorious one at that.
First of all, Chipotle put up some numbers that made all other publicly traded restaurants look like they are serving rancid chicken and beef. These numbers -- comp sales up 17% when we were looking for 10% -- are insanely fabulous and much of it wasn't because of price.
It was because of throughput. It was because of skillful management that has enabled Chipotle to handle crowd management. Oh, and let's be sure, that's what it is: crowd management. If you can put through eight more transactions during the peak lunch and dinner hours, you can get a number that is well in excess of what anyone is looking for.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV