By James Dennin for Kapitall.
The week ahead is one of the biggest this earnings season: More than 600 companies are reporting their results, and 140 of those companies are on the S&P.
On Tuesday, European leaders are meeting in Brussels to consider whether tougher sanctions on Russia might prevent the conflict in Ukraine from escalating further after pro-Russian rebels shot down a civilian aircraft last week. The situation in Gaza is similarly grim.Taken together, it's easy to see why investors are being skittish. However, given the S&P's record thus far, it also seems likely that more earnings surprises could happen. So with that in mind, we screened the stocks reporting earnings this week. To do that, we limited the universe to stocks above a market cap of $2 billion with profit margins that beat their industry average by at least 5%. Do you think they'll continue to outperform their peers? Use the list below to begin your analysis and let us know what you think in the comments. Click on the interactive chart to view data over time. 1. Altera Corp. ( ALTR): Designs, manufactures, and markets programmable logic devices (plds); structured application-specific integrated circuit devices; predefined design building blocks or intellectual-property cores; and associated development tools. Market cap at $10.95B, most recent closing price at $34.97. Earnings: July 24 TTM gross margin at 70.44% vs. industry average at 59.1%. TTM operating margin at 27.13% vs. industry average at 20.11%. TTM pretax margin at 27.13% vs. industry average at 19.09%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV