NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Canadian National Railway Co. (CNI - Get Report) are up 2.04% to $69.37 after the Montreal-based transportation firm reported a significant increase in profit and bolstered its 2014 financial outlook, reflecting a quick recovery from last quarter's tough winter weather, Reuters reports.
CN said net earnings for the quarter ended June 30 rose to C$847-million ($789.6-million), or C$1.03 per share, from C$717-million, or 84 Canadian cents per share, in the same period a year ago.
Excluding one-time gains, adjusted earnings per share were C$1.03, compared with 83 Canadian cents in the year-ago quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Growth Stocks
- CNI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 31.71% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CNI should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 100.93% to $645.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY CO has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 20.41%.
- CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY CO has improved earnings per share by 15.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. During the past fiscal year, CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY CO increased its bottom line by earning $3.09 versus $3.06 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Road & Rail industry average. The net income increased by 12.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $555.00 million to $623.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CNI Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts