Hoarding dilemmas: Friends and family cope with junk piles and health hazards
Reality TV and talk shows have put hoarding in the spotlight, showing in vivid and heartbreaking detail what happens in the worst cases.
But hoarding is also something many of us witness firsthand.
According to a survey by Insure.com, 46 percent of adults say they know someone who hoards.
Among those who know a hoarder, here are the culprits:
- Friend: 32 percent.
- Family member: 27 percent.
- Neighbor: 23 percent.
- Parent: 15 percent.
- Spouse: 8 percent.
- Myself: 6 percent.
- Child: 5 percent.
- Other: 5 percent.
- The person collects a lot of items, even things that appear useless to others.
- The belongings clutter living areas to the point that rooms can't be used as they were intended.
- The stuff causes problems in daily activities.
Too much stuff everywhereAll sorts of things are hoarded. According to Insure.com's survey, these are the most commonly hoarded items:
- Mixed items: 34 percent
- Knickknacks: 16 percent
- Magazines and newspapers: 11 percent
- Clothes: 9 percent
- Food: 7 percent
- Electronics: 5 percent
- Containers: 4 percent
- Other: 4 percent
- Animals: 4 percent
- Bags: 4 percent
- Appliances: 1 percent
Fire and health risksHoarding becomes a home insurance issue when it creates health and safety hazards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV