NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Harley-Davidson Inc. (HOG) are down -5.04% to $63.70 after the motorcycle company lowered its full-year forecast for motorcycle shipments today, based on weaker-than-expected U.S. retail sales and a delay in getting its newest bike into dealer showrooms, Reuters reports.
The new outlook came as the company reported higher than expected second-quarter earnings.
Quarterly profit increased to $354.2 million, or $1.62 a share, from $271.7 million, or $1.21 a share, a year earlier. Analysts on average had expected $1.46 a share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Growth Stocks
- HARLEY-DAVIDSON INC has improved earnings per share by 22.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, HARLEY-DAVIDSON INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.27 versus $2.71 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.94 versus $3.27).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Automobiles industry average. The net income increased by 18.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $224.13 million to $265.92 million.
- HOG's revenue growth trails the industry average of 22.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 287.65% to $203.59 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, HARLEY-DAVIDSON INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 42.27%.
- 45.76% is the gross profit margin for HARLEY-DAVIDSON INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of HOG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HOG's net profit margin of 15.40% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HOG Ratings Report
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV