July 22, 2014
/PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced that Turk Telekom, the leading communication and convergence technology group in
, has deployed Alcatel-Lucent's
7950 Extensible Routing Platform (XRS)
- one of the most advanced core routers available today - to meet the surging capacity demands of data and video use from a growing base of more than 13.5 million access lines and 7.4 million ultra-broad band subscribers.
Turk Telekom initially deployed the 7950 XRS in three major locations in
to address the growing need for capacity for residential and business customers and consolidation of existing core routers. With a population of 14.1 million,
forms one of the largest urban areas in
and is the fifth-largest city in the world by population within city limits. The Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS also paves the way for future expansions for cloud-based services and gives the opportunity for Turk Telekom to use more than 100 GE interfaces in its backbone.
Since its introduction in 2012, the 7950 XRS continues to be one of the most powerful core routers on the market, and currently is in use with more than 24 major service providers worldwide.
Amr K. El-Leithy, head of Alcatel-Lucent's META region, said:
- Deployment of the Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS prepares Turk Telekom for the next decade of traffic growth, driven by high definition content, on-demand viewing, multi-screen delivery and the rapid adoption of 'cloud' applications.
- The 7950 XRS provides the capacity, feature versatility and performance to efficiently address networking requirements for the metro core and IP backbone on a common hardware platform.
- A single 7950 XRS-20 chassis can forward 16 Terabits of data per second in a single 19-inch rack while consuming only 1 Watt per Gigabit switching capacity, with the option to double its system capacity in an XRS-40 back-to-back chassis configuration.
- The class-leading switching capacity, port density and power efficiency of the 7950 XRS platforms enables carriers to grow capacity in a minimal space and power footprint.
- The 7950 XRS leverages field-proven FP3 silicon, Service Router Operating System (SR OS) software and 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) network management, which reduces the deployment cost, time, and risk for operators such as Turk Telekom that are already familiar with the Alcatel-Lucent 7450 ESS and 7750 SR product lines.
"Alcatel-Lucent has had a longstanding relations with Turk Telekom. The industry-leading capacity, efficiency and service features of the 7950 XRS will provide Turk Telekom with the core routing platform needed to meet its growing IP traffic demand for years to come, while keeping operating costs in check."
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
We are at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, and to enterprises and institutions throughout the world. Underpinning us in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of the Group and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Our innovations have resulted in our Group being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". We have also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader in the Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review, for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the Group's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.