PARIS, July 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced that Turk Telekom, the leading communication and convergence technology group in Turkey, has deployed Alcatel-Lucent's 7950 Extensible Routing Platform (XRS) - one of the most advanced core routers available today - to meet the surging capacity demands of data and video use from a growing base of more than 13.5 million access lines and 7.4 million ultra-broad band subscribers.
Turk Telekom initially deployed the 7950 XRS in three major locations in Istanbul and in Ankara to address the growing need for capacity for residential and business customers and consolidation of existing core routers. With a population of 14.1 million, Istanbul forms one of the largest urban areas in Europe and is the fifth-largest city in the world by population within city limits. The Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS also paves the way for future expansions for cloud-based services and gives the opportunity for Turk Telekom to use more than 100 GE interfaces in its backbone.
Since its introduction in 2012, the 7950 XRS continues to be one of the most powerful core routers on the market, and currently is in use with more than 24 major service providers worldwide.
- Deployment of the Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS prepares Turk Telekom for the next decade of traffic growth, driven by high definition content, on-demand viewing, multi-screen delivery and the rapid adoption of 'cloud' applications.
- The 7950 XRS provides the capacity, feature versatility and performance to efficiently address networking requirements for the metro core and IP backbone on a common hardware platform.
- A single 7950 XRS-20 chassis can forward 16 Terabits of data per second in a single 19-inch rack while consuming only 1 Watt per Gigabit switching capacity, with the option to double its system capacity in an XRS-40 back-to-back chassis configuration.
- The class-leading switching capacity, port density and power efficiency of the 7950 XRS platforms enables carriers to grow capacity in a minimal space and power footprint.
- The 7950 XRS leverages field-proven FP3 silicon, Service Router Operating System (SR OS) software and 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) network management, which reduces the deployment cost, time, and risk for operators such as Turk Telekom that are already familiar with the Alcatel-Lucent 7450 ESS and 7750 SR product lines.
- Product web site: http://bit.ly/12MByki
- Photos: Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS family: http://bit.ly/Z3c4ib
- General ALU Flickr link: http://bit.ly/Z3cKEg
- Blog: Alcatel-Lucent's New Core Router: off to a big start http://bit.ly/Vnibkj
- XRS video: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/videos/7950-xrs?pop=1
- XRS momentum story : http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/news/2014/xrs-ip-core-router-big-bold-and-booming