UnitedHealthcare’s free mobile app Health4Me is now available to all consumers. Health4Me gives all users access to an array of health care information, including the ability to review market average prices for more than 520 medical services.
Health4Me is designed to help all consumers make more informed decisions regarding their care, including the ability to:
- locate nearby health care providers, and convenience care, urgent care and emergency care facilities;
- review market average prices for more than 520 medical services across 290 episodes of care, providing a comprehensive view of what consumers should expect throughout their course of treatment; and
- more easily anticipate and manage health care expenses based on local estimates.
UnitedHealthcare is among the first national health care companies to enable all consumers to comparison shop for medical services using a “guest” version of myHealthcare Cost Estimator™, a mobile medical price transparency service available through Health4Me. Consumers can download for free the Health4Me app through the iPhone and Android apps stores. More than 900,000 UnitedHealthcare plan participants have already downloaded the Health4Me app.
“Giving consumers access to important medical cost information is improving transparency and making it easier for people to navigate the health care system,” said Yasmine Winkler, UnitedHealthcare’s chief product, marketing and innovation officer. “With reliable and actionable information about the prices of services, consumers now have an important resource at their fingertips that can help them make decisions to improve their health and save money.”There are significant price variations for health care services and procedures at hospitals and doctors’ offices nationwide, even though there is no corresponding improvement in health outcomes for services performed by higher-priced health care providers. For example, the total cost for an uncomplicated childbirth, including prenatal and postnatal care, at hospitals in the New York City area falls between $9,699 and $29,076. For back surgery, specifically lumbar fusion, the cost ranges from $59,090 to $77,390 at area health care facilities in San Francisco. Other cities show similarly widespread variation by procedure.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts