NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- SunTrust Banks'
(STI) shares are down -1.59% to $39.09 after reporting that its net interest margin, a key measure of lending profitability, decreased to 3.11% in the second quarter from 3.19% in the first quarter, and from 3.25% in the year ago period.
The bank's year over year second quarter profit rose 5.8% to 81 cents per diluted share, 4 cents better than what Thomson Reuters analysts were expecting.
Revenue also increased 4.6% to $2.2 billion, ahead of analysts expectations of $2.07 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
SunTrust Banks shares are down -1.3% to $39.18 on Monday despite the positive quarterly results.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SUNTRUST BANKS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Commercial Banks industry average. The net income increased by 15.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $352.00 million to $405.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $830.00 million or 33.65% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SUNTRUST BANKS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -98.56%.
- The gross profit margin for SUNTRUST BANKS INC is currently very high, coming in at 89.00%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 19.04% trails the industry average.
- SUNTRUST BANKS INC has improved earnings per share by 15.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SUNTRUST BANKS INC reported lower earnings of $2.41 versus $3.59 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.07 versus $2.41).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: STI Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV