NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A divergent economic trend between Europe and the Unites States could set the stage for a prolonged rally in the U.S. dollar, while the euro weakens.
PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (UUP), a fund designed to track the value of the U.S. dollar, could continue to move upward as the weak European economy and the rising inflation in the United States lead funds into the dollar.
As the economic activity falters and inflation remains subdued, the European Central Bank is expected to continue enacting a loose policy over the next year.
Earlier this month, Germany surprised forecasters when it posted sharply lower industrial production for May, falling 1.8% month on month on a seasonally-adjusted basis, well below the consensus for a flat reading and April's downward-revised decline of 0.3% (from 0.2%).Dodd-Frank, 4 Years In, Is Vague, Complex, and Still Fighting the Last War 5 Hated Earnings Stocks You Should Love Lower Duration, Mitigate Risk With Liquid Alternative Funds As shown in the chart below, German industrial production has declined steeply since the beginning of 2014. German economic data courtesy of TradingEconomics.com The decline in the annualized output comes alongside a core inflation rate in the euro area that remains stuck between 0.7% and 1.0% annual growth, well below the ECB's 2% target.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV