Homebuying season is in full-swing and a recent independent poll commissioned by Discover Home Loans shows that 94 percent of prospective buyers believe they are making a good investment by purchasing a home. Although 87 percent are confident they will find an affordable home loan, the poll shows many have not done the math to determine their costs. In fact, 63 percent find themselves overwhelmed by the amount of mortgage information available.
A large majority of buyers surveyed are confident in their ability to secure an affordable loan and obtain the type of property they want.
- More than three-fourths of buyers, 83 percent, have been pre-qualified for a home loan.
- Sixty percent of respondents began their home search after at least one of the following took place, including:
- Having achieved sufficient financial stability, 22 percent
- The market becoming more affordable, 20 percent
- Improved credit scores to qualify for better mortgages, 20 percent
- Mortgage rates and lending options becoming more affordable, 18 percent
- Having saved enough for a down payment, 17 percent
Unsure of the CostDespite feeling financially prepared when entering the process, many homebuyers don’t know what purchasing a home will actually cost them.
- Although 87 percent know what type of property they can afford, only 52 percent have actually determined what their projected monthly payment may be.
- Forty-one percent have yet to calculate their down payment.
- Nearly half, 48 percent, don’t know how much their mortgage payment would be if they chose a more or less expensive property.
- Nearly two-thirds feel overwhelmed by the amount of information available on home financing.
- This is especially true for those under age 30, of which 76 percent reported feeling overwhelmed.
- Seventy-six percent of first-time buyers reported feeling overwhelmed, versus 54 percent of those who have previously owned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV