Early Back-to-School Shopping Tips for Budget-Conscious Families
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- OK, it's only July, and most U.S. families have a few weeks left before school starts -- usually in late August or early September depending which state you live in. But according to the National Retail Federation, 24% of U.S. families started back-to-school shopping two months before school started last year.
That makes sense considering NRF estimates that the average family spent $634.78 on apparel, shoes, supplies and electronics last year in back-to-school spending, down from $688.62 in 2012. Nationwide that was $26.7 billion last year, the NRF reports.
If you're one of those thinking "back to school" already, Regina Novickis, a savings analyst at PromotionalCodes.com, has a few ideas for you:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV