Time Warner Cable (TWC) today announced the company is participating in the City of Los Angeles’ request for information (RFI) process for the development of a communitywide broadband network that delivers gigabit-capable, high-speed, high-quality and affordable broadband connections to residences, businesses and city government.
TWC’s response includes detailed information on its current and future network and product enhancements that will enable Time Warner Cable to deliver gigabit-per-second speeds for consumers in Los Angeles across TWC’s existing network that already spans the city and neighboring communities.
“Over the last four years, Time Warner Cable has invested more than $1.5 billion to enhance our infrastructure and services in Los Angeles. This significant investment coupled with new ‘Gigasphere’ technology positions us to be able to introduce gigabit-per-second speeds in 2016,” said Peter Stern, executive vice president and chief strategy, people and corporate development officer at TWC. “Leveraging our existing network allows us to deliver these speeds faster and with less disruption than any other provider.”
The company’s infrastructure improvements, which leverages its existing hybrid fiber-coax network already deployed across the city enables TWC to quickly adopt and roll-out new technologies designed to bring gigabit-per-second speeds to consumers in the near future. The technical standard in development at CableLabs®, a cable technology consortium, is named Gigasphere, also known as DOCSIS 3.1, and is expected to be ready for initial pilots in 2015.“As the new standard is certified and equipment manufacturers deliver new hardware and modems, our Los Angeles system will be prepared to begin deployment of gigabit speeds to consumers,” added Stern. “We can quickly adopt the new DOCSIS 3.1 standards and deliver gigabit speeds for consumers across our entire Los Angeles footprint, not just select neighborhoods and communities.” Highlights from TWC’s response to the RFI include:
- Detailed information on “ TWC Maxx,” which includes the current network upgrades across the LA region. These investments have allowed Time Warner Cable to deliver up to 300 megabit-per-second (Mbps) Internet connections to hundreds of thousands of LA region customers already and improve network reliability. TWC plans to complete the enhancements for all remaining customers in our LA service area by the end of the year.
- Progress on the company’s network transformation to “all-digital” in Los Angeles, which replaces bandwidth-intensive analog video channels with much greater digital capacity, which positions TWC to deploy new services and faster Internet speeds.
- Catalog of all TWC’s current fiber-based broadband and Ethernet solutions that already serve businesses as well as government and academic facilities with multi-gigabit speed connections.
- Details on TWC’s continuing deployment of TWC WiFi® public hotspots blanketing the city and are free to the majority of TWC Internet subscribers.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts