- Scenario 1 – "Carry on regardless" – In this consensus scenario, the global environment of subdued growth and low inflation continues. US growth continues to be mostly supported by consumer spending, while investment growth continues to disappoint. The European Central Bank's (ECB) new measures are not a quick fix for the eurozone's recovery, leading to modest GDP growth. Despite the occasional surge in geopolitical tension and some uncertainty within China's shadow banking sector, emerging markets continue their gradual rebalancing, which is supported by a relatively accommodative global monetary policy stance.
- Scenario 2 – "Carry on cruising" – In this bullish scenario, global recovery is led by strong growth in the developed markets. As business confidence remains strong and monetary policy stays accommodative, investment spending becomes the main driver of recovery within the developed markets. Upside surprises from both inflation and growth will significantly increase export demand from developed markets, which will benefit emerging economies. Despite a normalization of monetary policy in the US, capital outflows from emerging markets are still limited, as domestic growth, supported by stronger external demand from developed markets, remains robust.
- Scenario 3 – "Carried out" – In this bearish scenario, the expectation of stronger growth in developed markets never materializes. In the US, rising inflation and falling unemployment—driven primarily by lower labor market participation rates—signals to the market and the US Federal Reserve (Fed) that potential growth is much lower than pre-crisis levels. In the eurozone, the ECB's new measures prove insufficient to stimulate growth. China continues to deal with shadow banking problems, and other emerging markets are hit by lower external demand and reduced risk appetite.
UBS Global Asset Management: Will It Be Smooth Sailing Ahead, Or Is This The Calm Before The Storm?
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.