Prior to the announcement, Advanced Micro stock, which has soared 24% in three months, had been a relative outperformed. This compares to 4% and 5% gains for chip stocks like Nvidia (NVDA) and Texas Instruments (TXN), respectively.
From Thursday's closing price of $4.57, Advanced Micro shares are up 18% on the year to date. Those gains, however, have evaporated quickly. The stock closed Friday at $3.83, down 16%. This is nothing more than a gross overreaction to numbers that were -- in my opinion -- actually better than expected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV