This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Landec Increases Investment In Windset

MENLO PARK, Calif., July 18, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Landec Corporation (Nasdaq:LNDC), a materials science Company that develops and markets innovative and patented products for healthy living applications in food and biomedical markets, announced that its subsidiary, Apio, Inc., has increased its equity investment in Windset Holdings 2010 Ltd. ("Windset") by purchasing 15,857 shares of non-voting Junior Preferred Stock which represents 8.5% of the outstanding Junior Preferred Stock and an additional 68 shares of Common Stock from the Newell Capital Corporation. The purchase of the 68 shares of Common Stock of Windset represents an additional 6.8% share in Apio's ownership in Windset and increases Apio's total Common Stock ownership in Windset from 20.1% to 26.9%.

The aggregate purchase price for the Junior Preferred Stock and the additional Common Stock was $11.0 million. With the increase in Apio's Common Stock ownership, beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2015, Apio will recognize 26.9% of the quarterly change in the fair market value of Windset. The increased ownership is not expected to have a significant impact on the change in the fair market value recognized by Apio in fiscal 2015 since the purchase of the new 68 shares of Common Stock approximated fair market value at the time of transaction.

Apio's strategic partnership with Windset, a leading grower of high tech greenhouse produce, began in July 2010 when Apio granted an exclusive license to Windset to use Landec's BreatheWay® packaging technology for cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes. In February 2011, Apio purchased $15 million of non-voting Senior Preferred Stock and 201 shares of Common Stock in Windset which represented a 20.1% equity ownership interest in Windset.

Apio's increased equity investment in Windset is the continuation of its ongoing strategic objective to pursue opportunities provided by healthy living trends that are driving increased consumer demand for fresh vegetables and fruit. Apio recognizes Windset as the most advanced and highest yielding hydroponic greenhouse vegetable producer in North America where the demand for hydroponic greenhouse grown produce is rapidly increasing. The hydroponic greenhouse process uses no soil and a fraction of the water required in field production. Furthermore, the process results in higher yields per acre and is not burdened with traditional weather-related risks.

1 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG

Markets

Chart of I:DJI
DOW 16,643.01 -11.76 -0.07%
S&P 500 1,988.87 +1.21 0.06%
NASDAQ 4,828.3250 +15.6170 0.32%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs